Samsung on November 5 announced the promotion of Jay Y. Lee to Vice Chairman of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. from President and Chief Operating Officer as part of executive leadership change to lead Samsung’s future growth.
The promotion of Jay Y. Lee recognizes his outstanding achievements as a leader of innovation and as a change agent, which has led to Samsung becoming one of the world’s beloved brands and to a commensurate rise in shareholder value. Mr. Lee has also made invaluable contributions to the unprecedented growth of Samsung’s smartphone and TV businesses.
During his tenure as COO, Mr. Lee also solidified Samsung’s unmatched leadership in the global semiconductor and display markets, and spearheaded Samsung’s rapid expansion from the field.
Mr. Lee has been credited with building strong relations with global business leaders through strategic alliances and business development against the background of an increasingly complex and competitive global business environment. Mr. Lee has also been instrumental in forging win-win relationships with key customers throughout the world.
As Vice Chairman, Mr. Lee will build on his existing responsibilities and take a broader role in managing Samsung Electronics’ businesses. Mr. Lee will continue to play a critical role in transforming Samsung’s business model – the set business into one based on a platform and the component business into a total solution provider.
In addition to Mr. Lee’s promotion, President Kinam Kim of Samsung Advanced Institute of Technology was named as President and CEO of Samsung Display Co., Ltd. as well as the head of the company’s OLED business.
President Soo-in Cho of Samsung Display was appointed President and head of Samsung Electronics’ Health and Medical Equipment business.
At Samsung Heavy Industries Co., Ltd., Executive Vice President Dae-Young Park was promoted to President and CEO of the company.
Other key details on the executive appointments announced today are as follows:
• Keun-Hee Park, named Vice Chairman & CEO of Samsung Life Insurance; previously President & CEO of Samsung Life Insurance
• Don-joo Lee, named President of Sales and Marketing, Mobile Communications Division at Samsung Electronics; previously Executive Vice President of Sales and Marketing
• Won-Pyo Hong, named President and Head of Media Solution Center at Samsung Electronics ; previously Executive Vice President of Media Solution Center
• Won-Kyu Park, named President & CEO of Samsung Corning Precision Materials; previously Executive Vice President of Samsung Corning Precision Materials
• Dai-Ki Lim, named President and CEO of Cheil Worldwide; previously Executive Vice President of Samsung Corporate Strategy Office
• In-Yong Rhee, named President and Head of Communication Team, Samsung Corporate Strategy Office; previously Executive Vice President of Communication Team